Monday 15 November 2010

The 27th Northwest Linguistics Conference, Victoria Canada


UVic Campus

For almost 30 years, 4 universities in the Pacific Northwest of Canada (University of Washington, University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University and University of Victoria) have alternated hosting the Northwest Linguistics Conference, a student lead conference for students in all areas of linguistics.  This year it is UVic’s turn to host the conference at their beautiful Vancouver Island campus full of their renowned campus bunnies.

I’m not a student… formally… but I was thinking it was worth a shot to submit an abstract (they confirmed that it is fine as long as I am not faculty!).  If it is accepted, it just gives me a fun extra reason to go back and visit family on The Island.  I have also only been to Victoria a handful of times, and it really is a beautiful place.


UVic bunny

In an earlier post, I discussed my ideas about the emergence of grammatical categories in human language and how there could not be a ‘first’ category because it would need to exist in contrast to another.  I was thinking this would be a comfortable topic to share for a 20 minute presentation, instead of discussing my Masters thesis topic, which I really think needs more work.

One of the benefits of presenting at the student conference, other than the obvious fun and networking, is that presenters get to submit their full paper to a Proceedings.  It would be a nice add to a very bare academic CV, and I’m always looking for opportunities to build.  Looking for, but not always fulfilling…

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on North-West University. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...